Marvelling at this Lasagna, a party guest once asked me what cheese I used to make it. Without hesitation I gave away the secret– EDEN cheese and a box of another local quick-melting cheese. To which, the other eavesdropping party people cracked up thinking it was a big foodie joke. Well, that joke happened to be the yummiest amusement to date.
This recipe is an instant party crowd pleaser, no fail. The 1-2-3 punch comes from the perfect play of the meat sauce and the bechamel. The harmonious and rythmic combo of spicy, a bit sweet (from the sweet onion and red bell peppers), sour and salty components in this dish give it the oomph that’s to die for (or yeah, live for!).
No, this is not a sponsored blog (how I wish!) neither is it a testimonial dish. I just underscored the fact that you DON’T need expensive cheese to make a killer lasagna. Before some lasagna purists crucify me for publishing this recipe using Eden cheese, let me challenge them first to try this. Then, hand me down the verdict!
Okay, today saw me baking this lasagna for friends Faye and Kristine for a belated New Year catching up.
The lunch also included in the menu some parmesan-crusted calamari with tartar sauce, a plate of greens with some fruit-infused vinegrette dressing and lots of laughter, catching up and updates from all the stories that went with it. Nothing beats great chats with comfort food at the backdrop.
1 box curly lasagna noodles
1 box quickmelt cheese, grated
1/2 kilo ground beef
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium-sized white onion, minced
1 tomato, chopped
1 large bell pepper, minced
salt and pepper to taste
750 grams tomato sauce, Italian blend
1 can chorizos, cut lengthwise and sliced horizontally (optional)
1 box all purpose cream
1 cup milk
1 box Eden cheese
1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsps flour
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. In a separate pan, saute garlic, bell pepper, onion and tomato. Add beef. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until cooked. Add tomato sauce and chorizos. Continue stirring for the next ten minutes. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat butter then add all-purpose creamand milk. Mix well. Add Eden cheese. Slowly add flour to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. In a baking dish, assemble the pasta. The bottom part gets a scoop of meat sauce as base. Smother with a generous amount of bechamel sauce on top of the beef mixture. Lay lasagna noodles. Repeat the layering thrice.
5. Top the dish with the quickmelting cheese.
6. Preheat the oven to 350c and bake for 15 minutes or until cheeses are turned into golden brown. Once cooked, let stand for 15 minutes. Serve with you favorite toast.