‘Calamari’ or squid in Italian belongs to the mollusk family along with cuttlefish and octopus. Among the three, the fried calamari, by far, is the most loved and sought after by foodies from all over the world.
A staple in most menus, this dish yields the crunchy and addicting taste in every bite. In this version, the parmesan cheese seals the deal– crunchy, soft in the inside and cheesy. In the final stage, you throw a dash of fresh oregano thyme for that woodsy and earthy flavor.
Now, how awesome is that?
Parmesan Crusted Calamari
1 cup japanese bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
6 large squid, cleaned and sliced into rings.
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp fresh oregano thyme
1. Season squid rings with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge one by one in flour.
Note: Anything you decide to bread is best when there is less moisture before you dip in egg. That is the reason why you dredge it in flour first.
3. Dip in egg.
4. Meantime, mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Coat squid rings with the mixture. Let stand for 3 minutes.
5. Deep fry until golden brown. Sprinkle with oregano thyme.
6. Serve with garlic-mayo dip (half cup mayo, juice of 1/2 lemon, 3 finely-minced garlic cloves, salt n pepper to taste—then mix everything together).